Forum Springer Astron. Astrophys.
Forum Whats New Search Orders

Astron. Astrophys. 332, 10-18 (1998)

Table of Contents
Available formats: HTML | PDF | (gzipped) PostScript

Large bent jets in the inner region of CSSs

F. Mantovani 1, W. Junor 2, M. Bondi 1, W. Cotton 3, R. Fanti 1, 4, L. Padrielli 1, G.D. Nicolson 5 and E. Salerno 1

1 Istituto di Radioastronomia del C.N.R., Via P. Gobetti, I-40129 Bologna, Italy
2 Institute for Astrophysics, University of New Mexico, NM, USA
3 National Radio Astronomy Observatory, Charlottesville, USA
4 Dipartimento di Fisica, Universitá degli Studi, Bologna, Italy
5 Hartebeesthoek Radio Astronomy Observatory, Krugersdorp, South Africa

Received 9 September 1997 / Accepted 2 December 1997


The class of Compact Steep-spectrum Sources is dominated by double-lobed objects (70%). The remaining 30% are jet-dominated objects, with the jet brightened either by Doppler boosting or by interaction with the ambient media. We show that there is both observational and statistical evidence in favour of an interaction between jets and dense gas clouds. Such an interaction should happen in the Narrow Line Regions. The images of four CSSs observed by us with VLBI are also presented. These sources do show large bent jets in the first kpc from the nucleus.

Key words: galaxies: active – galaxies: jets – quasars: general – radio continuum: galaxies

Send offprint requests to: Franco Mantovani (fmantovani@ira.bo.cnr.it)

© European Southern Observatory (ESO) 1998

Online publication: March 10, 1998