Forum Springer Astron. Astrophys.
Forum Whats New Search Orders

Astron. Astrophys. 333, 497-504 (1998)

Table of Contents
Available formats: HTML | PDF | (gzipped) PostScript

Brown dwarfs in the Pleiades *

II. A deep optical and near infrared survey

L. Festin

Astronomical Observatory, Box 515, S-751 20 Uppsala, Sweden (leif@astro.uu.se)

Received 7 July 1997 / Accepted 5 February 1998


The brown dwarf population in the Pleiades cluster has been probed in a deep 850 arcmin2 RIJK survey. The survey is complete to [FORMULA] in 76 % of the area and to [FORMULA] in the remaining 24 %. Photometry of 30 previously known members is presented together with 8 new candidates, four of which are below the brown dwarf limit. The faintest one is the lowest mass brown dwarf candidate found hitherto in the Pleiades ([FORMULA], 0.04 [FORMULA]). The derived Pleiades luminosity function is compared to the most recent theoretical mass-luminosity relations and is consistent with a power-law index in the mass function between 0 and 1 to the limit of this survey.

Key words: stars: late-type – stars: low-mass, brown dwarfs – stars: luminosity function, mass function – open clusters and associations: individual: Pleiades

* Based on observations collected at the Nordic Optical Telescope (NOT), La Palma

Send offprint requests to: L. Festin

© European Southern Observatory (ESO) 1998

Online publication: April 20, 1998